Saturday, June 21, 2008

Pocket Knives and Pecking Order

Tom attended his first Cub Scout Day Camp yesterday. I have to say that it was a bit like the first day of Kindergarten for me. I drove some of the boys and once they were all checked in, I had a hard time leaving. They were shooting BB guns, doing archery, playing games, and all sorts of other boy things. Usually I'm not too paranoid about things - at least I don't think I am - but for some reason I wasn't sure I should leave him all day. What if he got sun burned even though I slathered him with sun screen and packed more for the scout leaders to spray everyone down again at lunch. What if a mosquito ate him for lunch? (For those of you who think I'm crazy here, he's allergic to mosquitoes and swells up HUGE every time he gets bitten and I end up in Urgent Care making sure the swelling will go down.) Anyway, I was a bit nervous as I drove away but I needed to get to Sunnie's to pick up Ethan.

Anyway. At Day Camp they have a little store of sorts where the boys can buy things like candy, t-shirts, and the coveted pocket knives. Tom spent his whole $5 on the biggest and best pocket knife they had I think. It is like a mini-gerber tool and even comes with it's own case that can hook onto his belt. I have heard more about the functions of this knife in the last 12 hours than I ever thought possible! Did you know you can kill a spider with one of the features? He asked if I wanted to use it to go into the food storage room because it has a VERY VERY VERY small flashlight on it. There are pliers, knives, screwdriver, flashlight..........you get the idea. He's in heaven.

Now on to the pecking order portion of the post. Ethan and Logan are brothers that either get along great (very seldom) or fight over everything. They both want to be in charge. I'm pretty sure they both want to be an only child but then again it they were the only child they wouldn't have anyone to do their bidding. Ethan's been home less than 24 hours and already those two are at it. I know they love each other and really do enjoy each other's company at times but man, they can go the rounds! Even with all the fighting it is great to have Ethan home again. Now if Gary will just make it back from his fire soon, we can all be together again. There's nothing quite like having your whole family home together.

No comments: