Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Grandpa part 2 - Baseball

Grandpa went with us to Tom's baseball game Monday night. It was a bit cold - go figure this Spring - so Dianna went back to the hotel to rest. When we left the restaurant it had started to rain and by the time we got to the field it was really raining so we sat in the car and talked while the boys were warming up.

Grandpa told me about when his boys (Dad, Mike, Jerry) were just getting old enough to play ball. There wasn't a league in Highland at that time so Grandpa got one going. They got four teams together to play. Since there wasn't a baseball field anywhere and the city wasn't that interested in making one, Grandpa took his tractor and leveled off a piece of ground. The dad's got together and measured out the bases and then built a backstop and Highland baseball was begun!

I wish I had half of the memory my Grandpa does. He can remember facts and people and things about grade school. He is an amazing source of history. I had him write his life history for his 80th birthday and it was amazing. I will have to work on getting it typed up and adding pictures now that there are so many easy ways to have a book published these days. I just hope my boys will remember the times they have with Grandpa.

1 comment:

Adrianne said...

mmmmmm I love grandparents!