Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Training Wheels? I Don't Need No Stinkin' Training Wheels!

Ethan, like his two older brothers, has been riding around our loop since the day the bikes came off the trailer. They spend countless hours out on their bikes riding around and around. He's been riding with his training wheels since we got here and, I've recently noticed, the training wheels are getting higher and higher and bent at weird angles. I don't know if this is because of the wrecks or his brothers but, after we got home from Flagstaff today, I realized that he was barely using them.

Gary and I have been putting off removing them because our road isn't pavement. It's chip-seal or sealed and then chipped. Rough landing that gives a bad case of road rash. We were chicken. After watching him this afternoon though, I had to take them off. I prepared myself for an hour of crying, ending in band-aids across every part of visible skin. Silly me.

I needed to remind myself it was Ethan we were talking about. I held the back of his seat and off he went. I didn't move. I didn't run behind him. I didn't push him. I did nothing but hold his seat so he could get his little feet on the pedals. After one loop, he was starting himself and around and around he went. The loop is about 1/3 of a mile so it's pretty far for a four year-old to ride over and over. I guess when the excitement of riding like his older brothers, he could care less how far it was. I'm so proud of my latest bike rider! Way to go Ethan! I'm just sad I didn't have my camera. It was with Gary at work today. Boo hoo.

1 comment:

Burrups said...

Way to go Ethan!! That is amazing! Take some pictures tomorrow and in a few years you won't even remember it was the day after:)