Sunday, August 9, 2009

For All the Hunters Out There


Last night we had a Grand Canyon Branch picnic/BBQ at the rec center in the park. I was amazed at the turn out. We had about 50 people there which is about double the amount at church any given week. It was so much fun and the kids got to play with all the other kids that are moving soon. They had a riot. Just as it was getting over, a herd of elk came through on their way to the grassy fields of the school right next door. I am always surprised at the elk here. They are huge and plentiful. Almost every ride into the park or Williams or Flagstaff is full of elk or deer sightings. The bull elk and buck deer are HUGE! Big enough that they scared the living daylights out of me on a ride home from Flagstaff the other night. Gary has been trying for years to get me to go hunting - or at least get a tag and walk with him while he shoots. As soon as I got home from Flagstaff that night, I became a hunter. I will put in for the draw in February for sure and, believe it or not, I'm pretty excited to do it. Scare me like that once in the dark on the road and I will forever be hunting you I guess. I did tell Gary that I couldn't shoot a cow elk but a bull, well that's a different story.

No comments: