Monday, August 3, 2009

School is Right Around the Corner - Yipee!

This morning, I took the boys to their school for a tour. The secretary I had been working with told me it was impossible for her to show them their classrooms or even the elementary school building but we have an inside connection. The secretary for the school superintendent, Barb Shields, is also our neighbor and the boys Primary President/teacher. When she heard what I was told about the first day, she said to come on over and she would show them around. I just didn't feel comfortable sending my 9 and 7 year-old on the bus the first day with high school, middle school, and elementary school kids and not have any idea where their classes were. I was told by their secretary that usually if there is a new kid on the bus, the other kids will ask what grade they are in and show them the way. Yeah, right. Like I'm going to send the boys off on their own and hope that someone asks them where they want to go.

The tour today was great. I had been told earlier that there were about 25 kids to a class here but she let me know that they usually cap a class at 15 to 17 students. That in and of itself is amazing to me. My kids will have so much one-on-one attention that there will be no excuse not to thrive. Logan has a teacher that is new to Grand Canyon School this year, Ms. Marshall, and Tom has Mrs. Kelso who has been teaching here for years. Barb showed them their rooms, the lunch room, library, and we ended by playing on the playground for 30 minutes. It was a unique experience dodging elk poop on the playground! It is the only place I have seen real, true, actual lawn and the elk love it apparently.

School starts in one week and I can't wait. The boys are to that stage of the summer where they are constantly bugging each other and the fighting and yelling are getting to be too much to deal with every day. I think they are ready to make some new friends and be away from me for a few hours a day at least. With our house being so much smaller than our old home, we are on top of each other at times and it will be good for them to get out and experience a new side of living here. Waking up early for the bus won't be easy though. They've started to sleep in every day and Tom, for one, enjoys his sleep!

1 comment:

Burrups said...

I am so glad you got to tour everything before sending them off. Sounds like it will be a great school for them. I am with you and the fighting is starting to get tiresome with my kids too. Take care!!