Wednesday, May 7, 2008

"Lipstick"


So, there we were. Dylan, Ethan and myself driving home from the dry cleaners on this rainy morning. I was feeling pretty good about myself - first sign it will all come crashing down - singing songs with Ethan. When we got to the ABC song he told me he wanted to sing solo so while he was belting it out I figured I would quiz him on the sounds the letters make. We did four or five and he was getting them all right and I was getting more and more smug about my brilliant child in the back seat and wondering if there was a gifted and talented preschool I could send him to. I decided if I wanted to have him reading by the time he enters preschool this fall at age 3, I better help him start identifying beginning and ending sounds like Logan is doing in Kindergarten. So, after explaining that the game was changing and I would tell him a word instead of a letter, I started.

Me - "First word, dog"
Ethan - contemplating for a minute and then, "Woof! Woof!"
Me - laughter

Once again I explain the rules and he seems to understand.

Me - "Tree, T-Ree, Tree"
Ethan - "Hmmmmm. Grow!" Complete with hand gestures out the window to the trees growing in the rain.
Me - more laughter
Ethan - "Why are you laughing Mom?"
Me - "You make me happy."

More explanations about how the game is suppose to work complete with examples of words and the beginning sounds. I just know he has it this time!

Me - "Mom. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMom"
Ethan - without hesitation "Lipstick!"
Me - More laughter and a realization that this is NOT a skill he is ready for yet.

The funny thing is, I don't wear lipstick!

5 comments:

CorLesMarBoPiKo said...

this is so cute. It made me laugh too.

Laura said...

I love these stories! that kid cracks me up, and I can hear his little voice saying all of this. are you sure you don't want to come live at the parents house for awhile so we can enjoy your kids too.

Laura said...

I love these stories! that kid cracks me up, and I can hear his little voice saying all of this. are you sure you don't want to come live at the parents house for awhile so we can enjoy your kids too.

Burrups said...

So Cute!! I love that he said lipstick and you don't even wear it. Too funny!!

bestofthebishops said...

such a great story! thanks for sharing!