Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The True Meaning of Motherhood

My friend, Valerie, had this talk on her blog and it was the perfect timing for me. So often I forget what the true meaning of motherhood is. It takes a talk from Sister Beck to remind me that there is so much more to it than cleaning bathrooms, making meals, doing laundry, getting homework done, etc. etc. It is an awesome responsibility that Heavenly Father has entrusted to us as women. We are literally raising and teaching HIS children. Thanks for the reminder Val!

Julie B. Beck said...........Mothers who know desire to bear children….Mothers who know honor sacred ordinances and covenants….. Mothers who know are nurturers, nurturing requires organization, patience, love, and work…Mothers who know are leaders. These mothers plan for the future of their organization. They plan for missions, temple marriages, and education. They plan for prayer, scripture study, and family home evening….These wise mothers who know are selective about their own activities and involvement to conserve their limited strength in order to maximize their influence where it matters most... Mothers who know are always teachers….Mothers who know do less….They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world’s goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Who will prepare this righteous generation of sons and daughters? Latter-day Saint women will do this—women who know and love the Lord and bear testimony of Him, women who are strong and immovable and who do not give up during difficult and discouraging times….There is eternal influence and power in motherhood."

1 comment:

The Gray Gang said...

So, because my husband is in the bishopric, we have become permanant fixtures in the marriage and family class. This will be our 4th time through, I am still learning, but I also feel like I've got most of the lessons memorized! There is a story about a man who had a bunch of cows, and several boys, the boys were in charge of changing stalls, cleaning, milking, blah blah blah, the neighbor would often tell him that his boys were doing it all wrong. After several times of hearing this the father told the neighbor. "I'm not raising cows, I'm raising boys!" When I am behind on house work, and all the other daunting tasks, I remember all the fun things that I did with Kevin while ignoring the rest, and I remember that I'm not 'raising cows', I'm raising this very cute little boy! (sorry for the novel! but it made me think of it when I read your blog today!) Have a happy thanksgiving and a great time in Utah Land!