Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We Have Become "Those People"

For the last couple of years when Gary comes home from the deer hunt with a buck to hang in the garage, we have turned the majority of meat into sausage. This year, we wanted to go a step further and make link sausage.

We found another attachment for the trusty KitchenAid (I think we almost have them all now) and called the local butcher to find some casings to put the sausage in. Did you know you buy casings by the hank? It is enough to do about 100 pounds of meat which is twice as much as we had but that's how they sell them.

Once we got started, we discovered our hank was much larger in circumference than regular breakfast sausage - more like brats. It didn't matter though. Sausage is sausage and here we were making it ourselves. It is quite rewarding to see the finished product although, to be perfectly honest, I can't bring myself to eat it now that I've helped stuff it into those casings. The boys are digging it though!
Getting it ready to start stuffing!
Gary having WAY too much fun stuffing.
It really wasn't appetizing to watch the process.
The first round of links.

The finished product.

4 comments:

Burrups said...

That is way cool you guys did that yourselves. I bet the boys are digging it!

The Gray Gang said...

ewww... I don't think I'd be able to eat sausage for a long... VERY long time!!!!

Laura said...

this makes sense now, i saw Gary passing out sausage at the blessing, but didn't understand what was going on. well I guess if you can't eat it for awhile all the brothers will enjoy theirs that was given to them. I know Kev mentioned he was excited.

Angie said...

Looks cool, but I don't think I can eat sausage anymore either!