Thursday, July 24, 2008

(Big) Boys and Their Toys

I don't think boys of any age outgrow their love of toys, big or small. From toy guns to real guns and toy cars to real ones. The sizes and prices seem to increase with their ages but the genuine joy in their faces stays the same and I am a complete sucker for the genuine joy. Gary mentioned earlier in the summer that he wanted to get a motorcycle - price of gas.......miserable miles per gallon with the truck........save us money......pay for itself in a matter of months.......You get the picture.

Well, yesterday the bike came home and all I could think about was the pure joy in his face. It was like a window into his fondest childhood memories. Even with all the practicality of the purchase, deep down it was about the boyish joy pouring from him that made it an easy sell for me. He already had the coolest job ever according to our boys and now adding a motorcycle to the mix has bumped him up several notches on the "cool meter." Some things mom's just can't compete with! I love him so much though and it makes me so happy to have him so happy.

2 comments:

Dani said...

=) I have to agree, they never out grow their toys!

You'll have to take a picture of both Gary and my dad on their motorcycles (I've heard my dad's looks a little small for him....so that would make the picture even better!)

Laura said...

I am so excited to see this bike. Do you think he will let me take it for a ride? Now starts the paint jobs and then the oohhh and ahhhh's will come out even more. We are so happy he has joined us inthe bike gang.