Monday, July 28, 2008

Accident vs. On Purpose

Yesterday, right before church, Tom and Ethan were over playing with our neighbors dog. They were on vacation and we were dog sitting for a couple of days and the boys love spending time with their dog throughout the day. Anyway, after playing for a little while, Logan comes in to tell me that Ethan broke the neighbors window. Logan wasn't even suppose to be out there so I asked him how he knew and what he was talking about. Well, long story short, Ethan threw a HUGE rock down in their window well and broke a large hole out of the first pane of their window. I know we are lucky something like this hasn't already happened with four boys but it doesn't make the walk of shame to the neighbors door later that day any less painful!

When I asked Ethan what he was doing, he said,"It was an accident." This is his new motto for everything he does and I had had it.

I told him,"When you pick up a rock and throw it at a window and then the window breaks, it wasn't an accident."

He looked up at me with his big blue eyes and said, "I did it on purpose?"

It was then that I realized he didn't know the difference between accident and purpose!

One coloring book page and apology later, we are now waiting for the bill. Thank goodness our neighbors were very forgiving and quite gracious with the news. I am grateful every day that they moved in next door!

3 comments:

Burrups said...

Oh bummer! Things like that are bound to happen with boys and I am glad you have such nice neighbors too.

Unknown said...

OOHH, that is so precious! Boys are just too darling. Not the broken window part, but the cute eyes and what they say!! I can just imagine!

Laura said...

he is so pulling your chain. better start telling him to pick dandy lions for what was it? 5 cents each?