Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Swimming Lessons

Monday was our first swimming lesson of the season. I say season although I am reminded regularly that we have NOT had swimming lessons in a couple of years - poor little men. Tom and Logan took to water like a couple of fish. I expected no different. After all, they are constantly asking and begging to go to "Hot Lava Springs" and we have only made it there once. They aren't the prettiest swimmers but they get the job done and love every minute in the water.

Now for Ethan. Ethan, Ethan, Ethan. I thought he'd LOVE it. He was so very very excited and looked so cute in his new suit. He sat at the edge of the pool by the stairs and the next thing I knew, four little girls about his same age were sitting next to him. I actually thought to myself, "It's a good thing that it's Ethan surrounded by girls and not Logan or Tom because they would have freaked out and never gotten into the pool." Stupid, stupid, rookie parenting mistake. No sooner had I finished thinking it, than I was living it. Ethan was freaking out and didn't want to do swimming lessons anymore. We had a "conversation" about how I paid for these lessons and he WAS going to enjoy them to the tune of $32. Ethan dug in deeper. Nothing doing. No way. No how.

Meanwhile, I am wrestling Dylan who WANTS to get in the water and do what ever the teachers have in mind for him. Too bad he is two years too young. It is 100 degrees in the swimming pool room. I am pouring sweat by this time and wondering how on earth I am going to convince Ethan to enjoy himself.

Finally, I get him to the edge of the pool and the teacher - a nice high-school age girl who isn't sure what to do with such a difficult three-year-old - swims over and I mouth that I think he is ready for his turn. When she gets close, he starts to clench the concrete under his feet with his toes and is holding on for dear life. All the while I am trying to hold on to Dylan and push Ethan in and keep myself out of the water. Looking back, I'm sure it was quite the comical scene. By now I had had enough and basically pushed/threw Ethan into the pool with the teacher and told her he would be fine once he was in the water. The kid is not afraid of water in the least but didn't like the fact his brothers were at the opposite end of the pool.

As I turned to walk over to the bleachers to watch amid the HOWL from Ethan in the pool, I noticed the faces of the other parents who obviously love their children more than I do. Horrified was one way to put it. There were a few polite smiles but lets just say I'm not getting invited over for any play dates any time soon.

The good news is we have swimming lessons again today. Can't wait. So excited. Looking forward to it all day. Can't you just sense the joy I feel knowing we get to do it again?

2 comments:

The Gray Gang said...

Bah ha ha!! I would of given you a look of 'you rock!' Too funny!

Lisa said...

That is funny to those of us reading, but I can certainly feel your pain! I've been in that circumstance myself. And don't you just want to snarl at the parents that give you those looks???