Monday, April 27, 2009

Sunday Activities

Yesterday was a busy day for us but it all seemed to work out in the end. Who ever said Sunday was a day of rest, never had four active boys and church callings! Ethan gave his first talk in Primary and I really admire him. He loved every minute of it. He decided on his own what he would talk about and it ended up being testimonies. A couple months ago we did a Family Home Evening on testimonies and made our own testimony gloves to help the boys remember five points in a testimony. He got up there and told the kids all about it - with me whispering everything into his ear. No nerves. No shyness. Pure excitement.

I taught Relief Society right after and I wish I could say the same about me. I wasn't really nervous but I think that was because I was too tired to be nervous after the previous week. Somehow, I made it through the lesson but I did end about five minutes early even after stretching every point I could. I knew it was going to be a challenge because I didn't have time to run through the lesson before giving it Sunday to see how long it would take. When the High Councilman stood up in Sacrament Meeting and told us he was basing his talk on the same article I was teaching from, that was my second clue I would be in trouble. Oh well. I did my best and that's all the Lord asks from us, right?

To end the evening, our faithful home teacher came over with his family to share a message. He always prepares a message for the boys and I love that about his visits. Their family has four little kids, five and under, and they are so reverent and well mannered. I really look up to their parenting skills and gospel teaching. Anyway, half way through his lesson, he was teaching the boys that President Eyring's grandmother was teaching people about the gospel in Germany even when it was against the law at the time and that she could be arrested and be taken to jail. It was then that my lovely nine-year-old blurts out, "I would beat the crap out of the policemen."

Seriously?!? So wrong on so many levels. First of all the "crap" word is not one the boys are allowed to say. Second, beating up law enforcement? Really? In front of our sainted home teacher and his family? Honestly?

The night ended with Tom deciding to listen in to my telephone conversations and Logan, Ethan, and Dylan fighting instead of cleaning up their toys. Needless to say, they went to bed at about 6:50. Yep, ten to seven. I am so grateful that today is a new day and so far, knock on wood, it seems to be going a bit smoother. How many days until Gary gets home again?

1 comment:

Burrups said...

That's funny! Kids always know just what to say don't they! It has been fun to see you again lately. It seems like it had been forever.