Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Hack

So, we've survived the first few crazy days since Gary's been gone and done pretty well so far getting everyone where they need to be on time. Gary told me I need to buy a lottery ticket because everything I've been hoping will happen, seems to lately. I'm not too sure about that though. He is staying busy and has been moving around the state of Texas a bit. I think he's in Odessa now but I could be wrong. He was stationed at the airport President Bush used to fly into to go to Crawford but they've just moved again to a smaller, more remote area. I was telling him that he couldn't be spending his day in air conditioned comfort on a fire assignment while I'm home with crazy schedules and kids. I thought he should be in the dirt and heat to make it even. (he he he) The next day he told me I got my wish. They had moved and now were sitting in a hanger that did NOT have a big screen t.v. and the air conditioning was a thing of the past. I should be more careful about my wishes I guess.

While Gary's been gone, the two little ones have been bonding. Maybe sharing is a better word. Ethan had the cough, congestion, and over-all cold when Gary left and now he has been kind enough to share with his little brother. Dylan is coughing like crazy. All night long - even with some cough syrup and cool-mist humidifier - I hear, "hack, hack, hack" and can picture his little body coughing up a lung. He isn't eating either which probably isn't helping. As a mom, I feel so helpless not being able to do something for him to make it stop. If it's anything like Ethan's cough though, he only has today and then it will start improving. At least it hasn't turned croupy. If anyone has any tried and true cough remedies, SHARE!

On a lighter note, Tom had his first baseball game last night. 13 - 0. I only made it for the last ten minutes because we were at Logan's soccer practice but I was there just in time to see him strike out - again apparently. Let's just say his team didn't score the 13 runs. He was pretty down about it and has already decided that this will be a repeat of basketball when they didn't win a single game all season. They play again on Thursday night and hopefully that will be a bit better.

Logan's team still doesn't know when they start games although the games were suppose to start yesterday for his league too. I hope they distribute schedules to the coaches soon! I am glad I have a day or two until I need to pick up the personal protective equipment from the sporting goods store for Logan. Gary bought Tom's and I'm pretty sure I'll turn red when I ask the nice sales clerk where they have the cups for a seven year-old! Honestly. The things you have to do when you are the mom!

1 comment:

Burrups said...

I admire you for doing it all and doing so well while Gary is gone. You are awesome!!