Friday, January 30, 2009

A Family of Insomniacs

It usually takes a day or so after Gary leaves for a fire assignment for the family to get into a routine and start sleeping normal hours again. Unfortunately, with the dog being sick, it seems to be taking longer than normal. This is how it went last night.

10:00 - put the dogs in their kennels. Kyssa immediately started barking to get out but after having him back and forth from the back yard and the house the night before all night, I didn't have it in me to spend another night like that. I thought I'd give him 20 minutes and see if he stopped barking - kind of like letting your baby cry for a few minutes in the crib to see if they can calm themselves down. Apparently he got the message because after about 15 minutes, sorry neighbors, he stopped and didn't make another peep. He is feeling so much better now that he is on some other medication so I knew he wasn't cold, hungry, thirsty, or needing to go to the bathroom again!

11:00 - Logan appears from the basement saying he just needed a drink and bathroom break. He gets in bed with me and we finally fall asleep a half an hour later.

3:00 - Ethan comes in complaining his legs hurt and he wants to sleep in my bed. I have Logan slide into the middle of the bed and Ethan gets in too.

3:30 - I wake up again with Logan's elbow in my chest. I reposition it and fall back asleep.

3:45 - I wake up AGAIN. This time Logan has his feet digging into my stomach. OUCH! I wake him enough to tell him he needs to maintain his own space or he's going back to his room.

4:00 - Up again. This time to Logan complaining Ethan is touching him and he needs to slide over. Really? Someone is touching you? YOU'VE BEEN KICKING, PUSHING, AND TOUCHING ME ALL NIGHT!!!!! By now my patience is out and I send Logan back to bed. He doesn't leave without a fight though. He starts crying and saying he isn't tired anymore and doesn't want to go to bed. Last straw............

4:10 - Logan is back downstairs and I look over to see Ethan with a satisfied grin on his face because he is still in my bed and Logan has been kicked out. Honestly.

6:15 - I wake up to the alarm that has been going off for the last 15 minutes but I didn't hear it.

Another sleepless night and one step closer to Gary being home. Tonight is the night that we ALL are going to sleep through the night. I can just feel it!

2 comments:

ttcole said...

Aironn,

I sure wouldn't worry about your dog bugging us neighbors! We're too busy trying to shut up our dog! In fact, one of our "caring friends" sent us a letter in the mail telling us that our doggy bawls all day. If I could get her to be quiet, believe me I would!

Lisa said...

I can completely relate. Whenever Robert is out of town for work I never sleep well. The first night he is back, I am out cold before my head hits the pillow. Something so nice about have the husband home which makes the nighttime calmer.