Friday, January 23, 2009

Braces


Today was a big day for Tom. This morning we took him to the orthodontist for his first stage of braces. He was a bit nervous and way excited although he wouldn't admit to either. When we were in the car, I asked him how he was feeling and his response was, "I don't know. What do you want me to say? How am I suppose to feel?"

I think it was too much for his 9 year-old mind to wrap around. He was the first in our family to have braces so no one could really tell him what was going to happen. He was awesome though!


This is how he looked with all the gear in his mouth, just before the braces went on. I was so nervous for him this morning that I totally forgot my real camera and just had my phone so the pictures aren't the best but they are better than nothing! I think I worried more than he did.

If you look closely, you can see the glimmer of silver on his top and bottom teeth. When they asked him what color bands he wanted, his first choice was metallic bronze. I showed him the "glow" colors and he finally settled on glow blue on top and glow green on the bottom. I thought for sure he would want LA Lakers colors to go with his basketball jersey but then I have to remind myself that he is a boy, not a girl. Coordinating outfits never has been his thing.

I can't believe that my baby is now big enough for braces. I think it's been harder for me to see him in braces than it was to send him off to Kindergarten. Weird, I know. It's just that there is no going back. Before I know it, he won't want anything to do with me. He will go back to change bands by himself and I won't get to sit by him. He'll start asking to drive the car and I won't know exactly where he is. He will be dating and hanging out with friends and then - in a flash - he'll be off to college and on his mission. Sigh

4 comments:

Angie said...

Ha Ha!! While I was reading about picking the colors of the bands, I was thinking the exact same thing..."I'm surprised he didn't pick purple and yellow!" I guess it would've been kinda weird for a boy to do that.....

CorLesMarBoPiKo said...

He is still stinkin' cute. I love the braces.

Adrianne said...

That picture with his mouth pried open is so funny! Don't talk about them growning up...it makes me too sad :(

Irene said...

Love those braces Tom.
Gram Larson