Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ethan's Day

Today was the last of the dates for school shopping. Ethan and I hit the town running. Well, almost.

I got him strapped in his car seat, put the key in the ignition and........nothing. Not just a dying battery. A D-E-A-D dead one. I tried calling my husband to rescue me but he was out of cell coverage. It was then that I went to my "I am woman, hear me roar" personality and decided I didn't need a man to help me anyway. I backed Gary's truck up to my car (which Gary had backed into the garage a couple days ago thankfully!) and pulled out the jumper cables. After I figured out how to get the hood up on two very different cars, I hooked red to red and black to black and then started the truck. I gave it about a minute and then tried starting the car. NOTHING. Not a click, not a beep saying the door was open and the keys were in, nothing. A few more minutes and still nothing. At this point I called the other Bishop man that seems to solve all my problems this summer. Kevin was more than patient even when I screamed into the phone - hey, there were sparks flying at me! I got it started and, after a mere 20 minute delay, we were off.

Ethan was so patient. We had errands to run on our date. We dropped of quilts to the quilt shop, signed Logan up for soccer and then signed Tom up for flag football all before lunch.

The boys each get to pick their lunch spot. I give them no restrictions - they don't really know about anything more expensive than Sizzler anyway. I was sure Ethan would pick the new McDonalds. I was sure Logan would pick the new McDonalds. No one picked the new McDonalds. Ethan had his sights set much, much higher. He wanted the restaurant we ate with Grandpa Great. I don't think he ate much for having a HUGE buffet to pick from at Golden Corral. He did like the chocolate cupcake the best I think.

From there it was off to Wal-Mart to try on backpacks. That is the only school supply he needs for preschool. He picked out a school shirt and a Batman backpack and the date was done. The kid makes me laugh. He kept asking if we were going to go on our date - while we were on our date. I finally figured out that he thought it was suppose to be dark and for some reason he wanted a tent to be involved. Where he got the tent, I'll never know.

4 comments:

Laura said...

he is on his way to good dating. tents and all, he has it all figured out.

Burrups said...

Too funny!!

Stacy said...

You sure are a busy mom.

Dani said...

=) how cute!
I never tried a tent-date...wish I would have thought of that one. That would've really gotten my dad going!!

I like your date idea...I'll have to remember that for when I have kids!