Friday, October 24, 2008

Moving Into This Century

As many of you know, Gary and I are old school. I'm talking cameras. We don't own a digital. Gary uses them for work but we have been very content with our 35mm. We bought it for our first Christmas as a married couple and it is a very nice Nikon that takes great pictures when we do what we are suppose to with it. I love the surprise of getting film developed and the anticipation as I'm waiting for the photo lab to hand me my envelope full of pictures. Often, I don't even wait to leave the store before I've ripped open the package and started looking through them.

This brings me to our very very sad news. On Wednesday night I was taking pictures of the boys in their costumes for trunk or treat at the church when the camera just froze. Like I do with all things I break, I took it to Gary to fix it. Even after taking the batteries out, it wouldn't turn all the way off. We couldn't rewind the film with the emergency manual button either. *%$!@*&$!!!!!

I took it to the repair store here in town and they told me that if I paid them $150 up front, they would do me the favor of mailing it to Nikon to be repaired. Nikon would then mail it back to repaired. Great! How long? ONLY - key word here - six to seven weeks at least. That would take us right through the holidays with no camera at home. Gary does have a little 35mm he takes on fires sometimes so I could use that but it isn't my GOOD camera with the big fancy lens and body that makes me feel like I can take the best pictures ever.

So now we have a dilemma. We can spend the money and the time to get it fixed or we can jump into the land of digital at home too. The decisions are killing me. I want a great digital camera but I don't have the cash to get the perfect camera so what do I skimp on? Which one will hold up to being jostled around in the bottom of my purse? Which will let me zoom in so that the kids don't know I'm taking their picture? So many questions.

4 comments:

Laura said...

does Nikon have an upgrade program? I just did this with my camera. I sent in my old one, and i upgraded to this years model a $380 for only $150. so it was totally worth it. maybe it's time to put in a call to Nikon customer support. But just a suggestion

The Gray Gang said...

I too love waiting for my pictures from the picture lab! I am a digital-er now but that doesn't stop me from sending my pics into walgreens 1 hour photo and being there in 59 minutes to pick them up! There is just something about having the picture in hand that is better then looking at it on a screen!

Angie said...

once you go digital, you will LOVE it. It's easier to get them on to your computer, you can print a copy really fast if you need it and the best is you can upload them to walmart and edit them and then go get them in an hour. Love it!!

Gwen said...

Go digital. So glad I found your blog. One more to add to my list. I'm addicted. Good luck with the camera dilemna.