Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Dentists, dentists, and more dentists

Our family has two dentists; one for the kids and a different one for the adults. I should say that I have a different dentist than the kids because Gary doesn't go more than once every few years even with all my pushing and prodding. Well, this is the time of year that the appointments come around again. Every six months I start the dentist cycle. I will admit that the reason it is such a chore is because I am too chicken to take more than one child to the dentist at a time. So, first was Ethan this time around. It was his first cleaning and the kid did great. Loved every minute of it, especially picking a toy out of the belly of the toy robot on his way out the door. Next was Logan, still just as amazing. No cavities and a toy out of the robot. Finally, for the kids at least, was Tom. Great kid with no cavities and he even had his first complete head x-ray. I don't know if that is the exact name of the x-ray but it is the one where he stands up and the machine moves around his entire head. Technology is too cool.

So, thinking everything is great and we are done for another six months I was a bit surprised when the dentist recommended Tom go to the orthodontist as soon as we could get him in for a consultation. He has TONS of room between his teeth. They are PERFECTLY straight. Why the orthodontist? He seems to have an under bite that hasn't corrected itself. GRRRR......

Well, one free consultation later, we found out we will be into braces a small fortune and it will take quite some time - possibly having braces twice - to fix everything. The semi-good news is that it doesn't need to happen until our insurance kicks in after the start of the year although we do need to go see him again in three months. He can't do anything until he has at least four adult teeth to work with. Yes, Tom is about done with second grade and yes he has only lost four teeth and only has three adult ones in.

I got to go to the dentist today and guess what? NO CAVITIES! Where is my toy out of the robot's belly? They really should have a reward for the parents if we don't have cavities don't you think?

4 comments:

Laura said...

ah that sucks!! braces are no fun for anybody. Good luck and how arfe your new chouches?

aironn said...

Were you drinking when you wrote this? lol My new "chouches" are great! Have fun in Disneyland.

CorLesMarBoPiKo said...

I agree, I need a toy. A new toothbrush and floss is not enough for me.

Second Wife said...

I feel your pain...as a parent that has taken 3 kids to and from dental and orthodontic appointments I feel ripped that I don't get even a pack of Trident. It doesn't seem right, huh? Don't even get me started on those "free" samples of dental floss you go home with. LOL!!!