Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Shiny, New, Red

Our washer and dryer began to go downhill quickly about the time we were thinking of filing our taxes. Gary and I had great aspirations for where the money should be spent. Should we take a cruise? Should we buy a rifle for elk hunting? Should we save it all in our down payment account for the day we move again? Those decisions vanished just as quickly when the sporadic leak from the washer became a constant, every load leak and the dyer began taking twice as long to dry and we figured we bought that set over a decade ago. Thank goodness for the blessing of tax refunds!

I researched and read reviews, shopped prices and watched for upcoming sales and then still worried about making the right choice for such a large purchase. It's amazing how much stress a washer and dryer can cause! In the end, I chose the LG front loaders and have loved, loved, loved them.

Because we live remotely, we are not on natural gas. Instead, we have a large propane tank in the back. Gary and I both knew we wanted a gas dryer because they are so much more efficient and end up saving you money in the long run. When you buy a gas dryer, they are set for natural gas instead of propane and you have to buy a part to convert it over. The new dryer hadn't been in the house five minutes when Gary began taking it apart so he could change the natural gas part for the propane one. I was a bit nervous. There sat my brand new, shiny red dryer - in several pieces. In the end, he got to the place he needed and switched the teeny, tiny part over so it would work with propane.




I never thought after spending such a chunk of change on such a nice appliance, that it would be sitting in so many pieces in my living room right after we brought it home. Gary did great, though. Not a scratch on it!



Here he is trying to put the small adapter into a small part on the dryer. You would think they would make access a bit easier, not requiring the removal of the top and front of the dryer!



Finally, all installed and ready for many, many loads of laundry.





5 comments:

Angie said...

We bought some front loaders too...and in red! I had pretty high expectations because they are so expensive and they have been so worth it! We sure miss you guys...
Tyler talks about Tom all the time!

Ann Mitchell said...

Life is good!

Andrea said...

I secretly wish that my washer and dryer will go out so I can go buy front loaders. They look great!

Irene said...

They look great. If they clean 4 smelly, dirty, sweet:) boys clothes let me know. I might need some new ones too.

Anonymous said...

Your husband is an allstar! You must really trust him to let him take them apart like that.