Friday, February 12, 2010

But it comes with FLUFFY socks!

My boys end up with money each Christmas and birthday that instantly begins burning a hole in their pockets. When we were in Pocatello, we would hurry right down to the game store and pick out a new DS game that they would later lose. Since living so far out, trips to town are not as easy and we don't always have the older ones with us because they are in school. Because of this, at least that's what I'm telling myself, my boys have become quite versed in the infomercial. They can recite them word for word some times and don't seem to realize that most, if not all, of the things on those infomercials are overpriced and not going to live up to what they claim.

They couldn't take any more of my dismissals when they asked for random items when it came to the snuggie commercials though. As soon as they heard that the famous snuggie now came in kid sizes, there was not talking them out of it.

I told them they would have to pay for it out of their own money. Money magically appeared.

I told them since it came in a, are you ready for this, buy one get the second free with additional shipping and handling that they would have to find a brother to also want one and be willing to pay for it, a brother magically appeared.

When I told them that if they bought the snuggie, there wouldn't be enough money for a new DS game and were they sure, all heads nodded vigorously in agreement.

The final push over the edge on the infomercial for them, it seemed anyway, was the promise of "free" fluffy socks with order. Free socks? How could anyone say no to free socks?

I waited a week before placing the order thinking they would change their minds. Every day one of them, and it varied which one by the day, would come to me with the innocent and full of hope eyes only kids seem to have asking if I had ordered their beloved snuggies. After a week, I could take it no longer and placed the order.

From the moment I hit send, they began asking me if they were here yet. Could I track them? Where were they? Oh, they were made in China so it would take a while for them to get here. It was almost comical.

When we were riding home one day from the park and passed the UPS man, Tom said, "Ooooh, that's a good sign."

I responded, "What is a good sign?"

"The UPS man was coming from where our house is. We probably got our snuggies today."

It was amazing how excited they were. They day I picked them up, from the post office no less, they immediately put them on and wondered why the back was open. Did the company make a mistake? In the commercial it looked like they were sewn up in the back. Maybe we could glue it?

The socks were even more amazing than they had dreamed. They even had little bumps on the bottom so they wouldn't slip and they were, in fact, quite fluffy.

Yesterday, Tom was on the couch all snuggified and said, "Snuggies are just MADE for the weekend." Really? Really? Did he just say that? I guess it was worth it! Have you ever caved to an infomercial and been so pleased?

3 comments:

The Gray Gang said...

dieing laughing... think I may wet my pants!!! I LOVE your kids!

bestofthebishops said...

Excellent story telling Aironn! I laughed so hard that I had to read the story to Kevin too. This makes me love your boys even more than I already do!!

Andrea said...

I love it, they are just so cute!!