Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Smell of Fall

It's felt like fall here for quite some time. The nights are cold, mornings chilly, and afternoons perfect. Since the majority of the trees where we live are pine, we don't really see leaves change. The drop in tourists has also been a great indicator that fall is here.
Today, my kitchen smells like fall too. I had a box of peaches from the co-op that needed to be canned in one form or another for a few days. Today I had a few hours of peaceful afternoon that I figured would be perfect to turn that box of ripening peaches into some delicious jam. Little did I know that today would also be the day that Dylan and Ethan decided to forgo their naps. So much for the peace and quiet!

After hours of sticky, sugary, bubbling goodness, I can now look at two dozen pints of yummy jam ready to go in the pantry for the winter. Until I had to buy a jar of jam at the store recently, I didn't realize how good the homemade variety is! It takes me a while to get over the mountain of sugar that goes into each batch though. Honestly, I think it is twelve parts sugar, one part fruit. Maybe that explains why it tastes so good.


1 comment:

Burrups said...

I wish I was a canner like you. I agree the homemade is so much better.