Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Late Bus

Kids at the Grand Canyon School have a few different options for riding the bus home from school if they are in elementary school. Since the junior high and high school kids also attend the same campus, there is the early bus, the late bus, the late late bus if there is a practice for one of the teams, and the night bus for times there is a sporting event at night.

The early bus leaves after elementary school dismisses at 3:00. The late bus leaves after the older grades are done at 4:00 and the late late bus and night bus leave sometime after that - I haven't had to deal with those yet. My boys ride the regular 3:00 bus that gets them home by 3:30 most days.

Today, however, there is an after school activity for the 2nd graders. We have a school/community garden and they have been invited to participate today by spending time helping in the garden, and eating the fresh produce the garden has ready. Just like a field trip, we sign a permission slip and let them know that they will be walking home from school or riding the bus or we will be picking them up. I also need to get Tom from scouts tonight, so the timing made it right for Logan to ride the bus home. I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous for my little second grader to be riding the bus home with all those "evil" older kids! Even though he rides to school with them, coming home will be a bit different. He won't have Tom with him this time.

Luckily, there is one other kid from our branch that rides the bus in our neighborhood. I use the term "kid" loosely because he's in high school. I asked him if he would look out for Logan and he agreed. Keeping my fingers crossed here that it goes smoothly. I never thought that I would be sending my boys to school at 7:30 in the morning and not see them again until 4:30 or 5:00 when they were in 2nd and 4th grade. Crazy!

1 comment:

Katie M. said...

Just came across your blog. Morgan just started soccer and wishes Logan was still here! Glad you are enjoying you new adventure