Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Scouts

In Idaho, Gary and I served as the Cub Masters for our little, but growing, pack of scouts. I thought it was a great job. One meeting a month to plan and one to put on and in between I could schedule my time around the boys. There wasn't a weekly obligation that I needed to plan and carry out. That was my problem. I think I said that out loud.

Here, there isn't a church sponsored pack. Since it is community run, they rely on volunteers without the calling from the Bishop. They needed someone to help with the Wolf and Bear dens (2nd and 3rd grade here) which contain six total boys. The mom that volunteered in the past is mid-chemo and, although she wants to do it again, can't get it started for a few weeks. I told her I'd help her.

That's when the guilt started to set in. Here I am, healthy, sitting at home, wishing I could meet more people, hoping the boys actually advance and have regular meetings so Logan's first experience with scouting is a good one. What excuse could I possibly come up with that is more worthy of not doing it than chemo? Really?

So, long story not quite so long, the boys are all coming over to my house today and we will be having our first scout meeting. I should be scouring the web for information and planning helps. I should be creating my advancement tracking spreadsheet to be filled in when the boys bring their books today and I can see what they already have passed off. I should be doing anything other than blogging but, in blogging defense, writing down this commitment helps me to get my head around it and figure out just exactly it will work. Wish me luck!

No comments: