Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The House Hunt

Just a quick post about our trip to Arizona to look at houses. We looked at the house they have for us on the compound - yes they call it that! Am I entering a cult? - on Monday and it was about half the size of our house now but it did have tons of storage possibilities in two sheds and a storage room on the carport. It was in pretty good shape and the back yard, although in need of some love, was big and open and home to a swing set and several VERY VERY large Ponderosa pine trees just screaming for a tire swing. Everyone was incredibly nice and welcoming. I lost my voice on the trip down so I was the mute wife passing notes to my husband but oh well.

Yesterday we met with a realtor to look at houses on the market up to $240,000. Every house we saw was a manufactured home. There are NO "stick built" homes in that price range on more than a tiny city lot and closer than one hour away from Gary's office. All I can say is, "WOW" homes are expensive. The landscaping down here is all natural because there is no water. In fact, each of the houses we looked at have hauled water which means a truck comes out and fills your underground water tank in order to have water in your house. Definitely a change. All the houses were also on cindered roads which are basically dirt roads with little rock cinders spread on top of them. Driveways were the same way and only one had any hint of a garage. No bike riding at any of those homes!

I told Gary that I think it would be better for me to live on the compound because I like rural but I think most of those houses skipped rural and went for REMOTE. I'll post some photos when I get back and have my cables for my camera.

The funny thing is that even though we went into the park to check out the school - which I love, love, love - I never did look out over the Canyon while I've been here! I guess there is plenty of time for that in the coming years.

1 comment:

The Gray Gang said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe you guys are really moving! How sad for Chubbuck! I hope you guys find the house that is PERFECT for you! We are house hunting too! Although we have only seen a few manufactured homes, there are quite a few nastys!!! GOOD LUCK!