Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Halloween in September?

Before I became the mom to four boys, I didn't think about what I would be for Halloween until about October 30th. Now, however, I have to start worrying about getting four "perfect" costumes by about mid-September. If not, they have begun to sell out and the obscene bidding wars on Ebay begin. For those of you doubting this happens, let me tell you about my Star Wars experience a couple years ago. Back then, there were just three Jedi's in the house. The oldest wanted to be Luke and I found a costume for Anakin that doubled as old school Luke. Not too spendy (translation: under $30) and the first problem solved. The second-born decided to lean more toward the dark side and requested Darth Vader. At first all that could be found were "deluxe" Vader suits running around $50. There was NO WAY I was going to dish out that much money on something that would end up under the bed and stepped on within a couple days. After more searching - which takes HOURS thanks to dial-up Internet connections - I discovered a more reasonable Vader costume for, once again, under $30. Then there was the issue of the baby. At just 5 months old, he wasn't old enough for a light saber but had a VERY thoughtful look on his face most of the time that reminded me of Yoda. Ta-da, a Yoda costume was found and an order placed. I was so pleased with myself that by mid-September, all three costumes were ordered and on their way. Or so I thought. The Yoda costume became the must have for babies that year and as the days turned into over a week without a shipping confirmation in my in-box, I became a bit concerned. Finally, an email appeared and, with gleeful anticipation, I opened it. Shock and horror filled me as I read that the costume which was in stock when I ordered was suddenly on back-order now with little to no hope of arrival by Halloween. I frantically looked everywhere on the web and called stores within a four hour range of home only to find out they were all on back order now! What to do? What to do? Finally there was a hit on Ebay. I put in a bid and even went as high as $45. The final bid was well over $100. I thought to myself, what kind of person spends over $100 for an infant costume for Halloween? Back to square one, I decided to sew a bear like costume and turn him into an Ewok. Worked like a charm but the stress was more than I needed. This year I have a baby costume of a horse all ready and now need to find just three more for the older boys. I think the days of matching costumes or family themes are coming to an end just like me sewing all the costumes did a year or so ago. I learned the stress of finding a pattern, material and getting them to fit and be done in time where SO not worth it in the long run. I hope to have the boys settled on a costume that I can find by the end of the week but we'll see once friends, TV, and school come into the mix how many times they change their minds. Who would have thought a holiday where you take candy from strangers could be stressful?

No comments: