Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Internet in the Middle of Nowhere

I called today to get my Internet hooked up at the house and let me just say that it isn't the easiest - or cheapest - thing to do when you live on the edge. DSL is NOT an option here at the compound and unless I can circulate a petition and have everyone, all 30 homes, sign it saying they would opt for DSL if it was available, the best bet is satellite. You know those commercials you see on TV that say if you live in a rural area and don't want to wait for dial-up then call? That is me. I called and in a week they can come out and put another satellite dish on our house and install satellite Internet for about what we paid for phone and Internet in Idaho. Oh, and it isn't as fast as DSL either I was told. If it's cloudy, which it isn't too often here I've heard, or the weather is awful, I may lose my signal. If too many other people want to check their e-mail at the same time, it will be painfully slow. If the stars aren't aligned just so......you get the picture.

There is a silver lining to the remote rural living. We ate outside tonight while watching the fire crackle in one of our fire pits. Our back yard has a couple different fire pit locations for some reason. It was beautiful with the birds and the fire and the trees. After dinner we just stayed outside for a while. Gary and I worked on some projects while the boys just played and played. They love it here. Their faces light up when they are outside whether it's jumping on the trampoline or discovering another ant pile or swinging on the swing set. It is amazing to not be in a traditional neighborhood. There aren't any houses behind us and I haven't seen the people that live on either side of us yet. It feels at times like we are the only ones living in this area.

The camera is still lost somewhere. I've seen it since we've been here but now I have no idea where it is. Could it be hiding out with my printer and kitchen towels? They too are in the land of the lost.

No comments: