Monday, January 30, 2012

In Case of Emergency

Since being called as the Primary President several months ago, Sundays can be anything but relaxing. The first couple months I would come home from church and just hide in my room for a while until I could put the chaos of Primary behind me and face being the mom again. It was crazy. It never seemed to run smoothly and I was always wiped out by the end.
People kept telling me it would get better and I would find a routine of sorts. I have to admit, I didn't believe them. Then, all of the sudden it seemed, it happened. I came home and wasn't totally wiped out. I was still smiling after Primary and it wasn't the "smile so you don't cry" type of smile. The day went really well. The next week went really well too. I thought I must be getting the hang of it. That's when I should have known the Lord would have some more lessons for me to learn.

Yesterday the teachers all went to the combined meeting the last hour so my counselor and I divided the younger kids into two classes and each taught one while the other counselor and secretary took over sharing time. The stake was oh so kind and came to do our music. I wrestled the entire first hour with a little 3 year-old who needs some one on one support most weeks and then went on to teach about a dozen five and six year olds. Wow! Can I just say our teachers are amazing? I have even more respect and awe for them than I did before. It isn't an easy task keeping a dozen kids engaged in a lesson that gets over all too quickly. Thank goodness for memorizing Articles of Faith and crayons. By the time it was over, I was once again wiped out and smiling but not the, "It went so smoothly and it was an amazing day" kind of smile.

We came home and I hid myself in my room with a half a can of Coke and a frozen Twix I had been saving for an emergency. It was definitely an emergency. I sat on my bed savoring the Twix and playing scrabble online when I reached over for the second half of my treasure only to find it already gone. Dang it! I ate the whole thing and didn't even realize it was gone. I am thinking I should start putting a king size Twix in the freezer in case of a emergency. Some days may require a four pack.

No comments: