Thursday, August 12, 2010

Yellow and Blue

The first week of school was a smashing success. I have to admit, the first day Ethan was there I had to stop myself from calling the office to check on him during the day. It's a long day from 7:30 to 3:30! Maybe it's just a long day for me to be away from someone I've spent almost every day, all day, with the last year since moving to the canyon. He did great though. Here are some brief recaps.

Ethan almost missed the bus his first morning. The bus came five minutes early and he went running out of the house with his backpack as big as he was - it was filled with his lactaid pills and a giant box of granola bars for class snack - and he was yelling as loud as he could, "I'm coming bus! Don't leave me!" He was running toward the bus at this point. The bus driver could see him run the length of the neighboring house to get to the bus. My guess is he wouldn't drive past the running kindergartner.

After school he got off the bus and with eyes HUGE and smile even bigger said to me, "Mom! Yellow and blue make GREEN!" and then showed me his scribbles on a paper from art class to prove it. He was thrilled with his new knowledge. He was also thrilled to find out he didn't have to carry his medicine and granola bars every day back and forth to school and could, in fact, give them to his teacher the next day. At least I know I can keep things securely in his backpack for the entire day without him ever thinking about it.

Logan is a bit more cool about his day. He was very excited about the picture he drew for his homework folder. He was also way excited to write in cursive. He sat down in the first night of school with a clean sheet of paper and said, "I'm going to write the entire alphabet in cursive for extra credit." Extra credit? On the first day? That is one excited kid! Today when I asked him how his day was, he replied, "Awesome!" but that was the end of the description. I think he is loving third grade.

Tom is still acting as cool as ever. He loves being the oldest in the Elementary school. With it comes a lot of responsibility and prestige. I think I've heard a million times that he is in charge of the school flag so he may not be able to pick Ethan up from the Kindergarten room to get on the bus. He will be sure to send Logan who doesn't have such enormous responsibilities though. He's also told me he will probably be able to see Ethan at recess occasionally because he will be in charge of the "ball box" and Ethan will have to request playground equipment from him or some of his 5th grade colleagues. He also gets to be in 5th grade band and gets to pick his instrument he will learn to play. So far the list is narrowed down to the bass guitar or the saxophone but, since 5th grade is the youngest, they get to pick their instruments last after high school and middle school students are done. I'm excited that he is really pumped about learning an instrument again. I hope it takes better than piano did!

Dylan has been adjusting pretty well to being the only child during the day. The only time it came up was nap time when he looked over and realized he was being unfairly punished alone. He asked where Ethan was and wasn't thrilled when I told him school. Today we went to Flagstaff on a "date" together. It was nice to spend that time with just Dylan and I was surprised how much faster the shopping went with just one monster instead of two or three or four. I think I could get use to this!

No comments: