Thursday, October 22, 2009

Family Home Evening Lesson by Ethan Jax

Every six weeks, our family is in for a treat. It's Ethan's turn to give the Family Home Evening lesson. One of these times I'm going to remember to video tape it. It's amazing. Actually, amazing doesn't do it justice.

This week, when I told him it was his turn for the lesson, he yelled, "Yippeeee!" in excitement. There may have been a joyous hand pump to go along with it. It's all a bit foggy now.

Since his reading ability is still a bit limited, I think he has about 30 sight words down now, I asked him if he would like some help preparing. His answer is always the same. "No, I can do it all by myself."

I always respond with some probing questions like, "What do you think you are going to talk about?"

He always has an immediate answer and it's never one you can predict. This week's answer was, "Ummm, probably ticks."

Ticks? Did I hear him right? I must be mistaken. Nope, he really wanted to give his lesson on ticks. Blood sucking, disease causing ticks. Yum.

I asked him if he wanted to practice his lesson before Family Home Evening. I told him I would love to listen to him practice if he wanted. Nope. His response? "I already know what I'm going to say so I don't need to practice. Besides, if I practice to you, you'll already know what I'm going to say in my lesson." Duh.

Last night was the big reveal for the lesson. That little four-year-old is turning into quite the dynamic public speaker. He stands up in front of the family and delivers his lesson in a very authoritative voice. His eyes become even more animated as he goes into the perils of ticks and the evils they carry. He answers questions during the question and answer portion with firm c conviction that he is right. It was all I could do not to giggle.

Did you know ticks have little claws that dig their way to your "blood places" and suck out all your blood? Did you know they can be brown or lots of other colors all together? Did you know that doctors have to take them out? Did you know that they don't like fire or smoke? Did you know he learned all this very valuable information from Gary? Gary was astounded. He doesn't remember giving such a detail briefing on ticks to his four-year-old. Once again, Family Home Evening proved unforgettable.

1 comment:

CorLesMarBoPiKo said...

I was looking at your pictures and Dylan does not look like the same boy. He is like big and tall. Can't believe it. You guys look like you are having a good time, we miss ya.