Sunday, January 8, 2023

Priesthood and Mission Prep

 Today was a big day in our house. Dylan was ordained to the office of a priest in the Aaronic Priesthood by Gary after church. It was awesome to sit and listen to the beautiful blessing Gary gave as he, Ethan, my dad, and the bishopric stood in the circle. I caught myself wondering where all the time went. Wasn't it yesterday that I was waiting for Dylan to be done with his first day of preschool and worrying that he wouldn't be able to find his classroom all on his own each day? Now he can serve in a greater capacity and be our Savior's hands in more ways. He has grown into such a great young man. He's full of interesting facts, takes his priesthood responsibilities very seriously, and never fails to wear his bow tie each Sunday - we're going to have to work on learning to wear a regular tie for his mission. We missed Tom and Brinlee but Tom has been working crazy hours and was at work again this morning so they weren't able to join us today.


As we were getting ready to leave the Bishop's office, he handed Ethan a few papers and let him know it was a checklist for his mission papers and that the online portal was now open and ready for Ethan to start working on. Even though I've known this is coming and I keep reminding him to ask the Bishop and to get this or that done, I still don't feel ready. I know how fast the next six months will go and then he'll be gone to some spot in the world where the Lord needs him. He'll grow in his testimony and in his abilities but I'm not quite sure I'm ready for one more to leave home. It is never really the same when they come back. They come back as a man, not a young man that needs his parents permission to stay out late or their guidance for little things. They come back self sufficient and confident and ready to tackle the world. Ready or not, it's coming and I can choose to worry about it or help him get what he needs to done in order to prepare. It is exciting to find out where he'll be serving! In a few months, we will know. He can submit his packet February 1 and he put his availability date as June 1. That doesn't mean he will absolutely leave that early but there is also a chance he might. I guess we will just wait and see. He's ready. I'll get there.


Isn't it crazy that they can get their mission papers ready to go on their phones?!?!

Logan was certainly near today. He likes to pop in on these important days in our lives. Little things that happen that some may think are simply a coincidence show me that he's close. We sang "I Know that My Redeemer Lives" today in sacrament meeting. It was a song that was sung at his funeral. We don't sing it very often in our ward. Later, when Ethan was filling out his health portion of the mission papers, it asked if he was being treated for a variety of things, one of which was bipolar. I don't remember that question when Tom was filling out his papers. It was just a simple thing that helped me feel close to him today. He's always there. He's busy serving his own mission but always makes time to be with us during these mortal milestones. I love that.

On another note, I turned 50 this week. I really love birthdays I love the opportunity is gives me to see my growth over the last year and I get excited to think about all the awesome memories I get to make this year. My 40s were full of immense joy and unimaginable heartache, growth and stretching beyond my limits at times, understanding and learning to give grace. I am looking forward to what the Lord has in store for me in my 50s.




No comments: