Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Potty Training - Take Four

Since Dylan is the youngest of our four boys, I have been less than pushy when it comes to potty training. Sure, there are a lot of positives of having your baby potty trained but it is also a process that seems to take FOREVER if they aren't ready or, sometimes more importantly, if you aren't ready to dive in.

Before the holidays, he would ask to go potty on the potty whenever both bathrooms were full or we were in the car or we were at a gas station that did NOT look like a great place to take a two-year-old with, what seems like at times like this, extra fingers, arms, and hands to touch everything. I decided with all the long road trips through the holidays, we would just wait a month or so and then he would be really, really ready and the process would fly by leaving me with four potty trained boys by summer.

Fast forward a few weeks and Dylan has decided everything to do with potty training is an evil concept. He no longer asks to go potty. Now, whenever I mention pull-ups or underwear or going potty, he begs to wear his diaper. The nagging voice in my head saying potty train now that I heard a month ago, now says, "I told you so!"

Last night, I thought I'd give it a whirl. He tried to pee in his bathroom, to no avail. We rounded the corner to our bathroom to try again and found it occupied. While he waited by the door, for about 30 seconds, he made a puddle on my carpet. His response?

"Oh no!" coupled with the facial expression of, "How did that come out of there!" I think he was genuinely concerned that he had sprung a leak.

Today is a new day and I pulled out the pull-ups when I got him dressed this morning. Before putting it on, we went back into the bathroom to give it a go. He has to stand up - like his brothers of course - so we have a little step stool for him and then he leans over and grabs the back of the toilet. He would arch his little back and then, look down where he sprung a leak yesterday and, looking at me with concern, would say over and over, "No pee from my pee hole! No pee from my pee hole!"

Pee hole? No one has ever referred to that part of his anatomy as such. It was all I could do not to laugh. The phrases they come up with. Logical, yes. Politically correct? Not always.

No comments: